Update from CRUFC Member Troy – May 2, 2013 0640 MDT

Flew home from Vegas Wednesday. We left around 10:30 Calgary time and cleared customs at 19:00.  It was windy again in Vegas. Kids kept loosing their hats so we had to keep a hold of everything while loading the plane. The wind was out of the north so we settled in or a long light to Idaho Falls.  With all the wind came all the bumps. It was a fun ride.  Snow showers in Salt Lake through to Idaho falls.   Approach warned us about moderate turbulently below 10k.  We had been in it the whole flight, no different in Salt Lake.  The plan was lunch in Idaho falls, found out the restaurant was closed so we settles for beaf jerky and muffins from the terminal store.  Next stop was Cut Bank for the last cheaper fuel.  Had to drop to 6500 to get out of the mountains around Helena.  Bumps and headwind persisted until on final into High River.

It was a great trip with over 2500 nm flown.  We seen way more scenery than anyone sitting in a tube at 40 thousand ft and had lots of fun doing it.  Kids are great flyers, the bumps do not bother them and never once asked how much farther on a 3.5 hr flight. Well maybe once;-

image

Advertisements

Update from CRUFC Member Troy – Apr 30, 2013 0937 MDT

Leaving the sandy beaches of San Diego today.  We are heading for Las Vegas.  There is a cold front coming through producing strong winds.  Plans are to get on the ground before it gets to bad.  Weather is suppose to go VFR by noon here.  We plan to be ready to go by then.

Runways are all north south, north of Las Vegas so an emergency pee stop will not be an option.  Good reason to tour Vegas again.  Winds are forecasted to be strong again tomorrow but at least we will be flying out of it.  They will be out of the north, it will be a slow bumpy ride tomorrow.

Rv10 in the sand
Rv10 in the sand

Update from CRUFC Member Troy – Apr 23, 2013 06:00

Update from Troy – Apr 23, 2013 06:00
Round trip flight from Calgary, AB to Los Angeles, CA

What a great airplane, worked most of the day, airborne at 4:00 and still make 700nm trip and land at sunset. The trip over the rock pile at 10,500 had virtually no wind. We descended into Spokane and met with customs. First thing he said when I opened the door, you off to Connecticut! I prepped them when I booked, so glad they played along, great bunch. Kids don’t know we are going to Disney Land!

After that we climbed to 10,500 and the wind gradually got stronger. About 20kts on the tail. I expected more. The ground had lots of dust getting kicked up though. The ride was relatively smooth. The flight past mount Shasta at sunset was beautiful.

We got rewarded with a 21kt 45 degree cross wind in Redding. All and all an easy run. Kids were great, hopefully LA tomorrow afternoon.

Follow CRUFC Member Troy, on his flight from Calgary, AB to Los Angeles, CA

We leave late this afternoon for Spokane, then down to Redding for the night.  Plan is La tomorrow if the weather lets us into the basin.  Use the spot above to follow along.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/gogl.jsp?glId=0K2qUrM1205OcaMGxkSqBFXnY4fQmhF4E

2012 – Troys East Coast Air Venture – 2012-08-11 (Arrived Home!)

Plan change, we are heading through the US.  Weather is just not looking good between us and Regina.  Lots of lightening.  We just hope we can get through to Montana.  We will rebook with customs when we know where we will end up.

SPOT Tracker

——————————————————————————————————————————–

Update!

——————————————————————————————————————————–

Got in today around 14:45. As mentioned we had to change our plans this morning once we saw the radar. Going direct to Regina was not going to work. I really had my doubts about getting through the US as well. Sigmets issued for most of our flight. The plan was to see how far we could get. We got going just before 7 Calgary time. I really like to make a final plan once airborne. I use the Internet to come with an idea but I really do not commit until we are airborne and reading the XM weather. It seems to be the most accurate over anything, foreflight radar is an idea but not accurate enough on its intensity in my opinion. If I did not have XM many flights would be canceled after information gathering and talking to a flight briefer. Briefer s are very pessimistic, sometimes I wish I hadn’t talk to them.

Once on course I decide if the route will actually work. Direct to Harve MT looked like the best choice. We had two systems to get around, if we could get through them we could make it. The first required us to make a slight deviation to the north, it got fairly rough but we did not have to change altitude. The second was totally blocking our route but was not that wide. We hoped it would not grow to large before we got there. I picked the narrowest location based on the XM and amazingly that was the only location that we could see light on the other side. We told center we were dropping down to get through the line and would be back up in short order. The curtain was closing fast, I slowed down, we all tightened the belts and pounded our way through. It was all over in a few minutes. Back up with center and on our way. Never even got that much rain. We landed in Chinook MT for fuel and a snack. This place is a whole other story, it was a great stop to say the least.

On our way to Lethbridge we had more storms to deal with. We had to come around from the south side to avoid the storms to the east. Weather was marginal but way better than Ontario😉

Costums done and a quick flight to home.

Summary

  • Total flying time for the trip was 32.5hrs
  • Estimated fuel used 375 gal
  • Estimated fuel costs $2600
  • Total distance flown was 4950 NM or 5755 SM
  • Stopped in many places that no airline could have taken us.
  • 2 weeks of great quality family time

All and all a really great trip, even if it did have several stressful moments. That is just part of flying.

2012 – Troys East Coast Air Venture – 2012-08-01

Tomorrow we depart for Bathurst N.B.  We have around 4hrs of flying ahead of us.  Weather looks great until about Ottawa. After that I think we will be dodging thunder storms.  Sure hope the ceilings stay high enough to be able to pick our way through.  We plan to fly the lake Ontario shore line and follow the St Laurence.  We will likely stop in Trois Rivière for a break.  After that get clearance from Boston Centre and go direct over Maine or follow the river until about Rivière du loupe.  It depends on what the weather is doing.  Should be an interesting day.

SPOT Tracker