We had a nice flight out of Thunder Bay this morning. We flew the shoreline to Marathon then direct to Sudbury via Chapleau. The only weather was near marathon and it was still good vfr, just lower visibility from all the moisture. I did lots of map reading to ensure I knew where we were even though it was always the middle of nowhere. Bogs seemed to be the best choice if the prop stopped and we stayed fairly close to some type of road or railway. I did not have flight following like we had from Brandon as we were to low, so you are really on your own. The flight was 2.5hrs as we flew lower and slower in the thick air. It was a pleasant ride with only a few bumps near the end.
The relatives were there to pick us up and were soon wizzing through town to their place. We had a great afternoon and evening, it was great to see everyone. No alarm for tomorrow, we want the rest. Then off to st Catherine’s for 3 nights in Niagra falls. It will be another short day of flying.
We are happy with the decision we made to press on and not stop in Kenora. There is two lines of weather, one that is just missing kenora and the other is partially over Dryden. It could have easily been south 30 miles and we would have possible been stuck if we stayed. Besides fuel is much cheaper here, $2.23/l in kenora, ouch!
We plan to stay off the oxygen today and fly low for the scenery. We will be skirting the edge of the lake and heading inland just after Marathon taking us over Chapleau then into Sudbury. The flight will be just over 2 hrs, so a short day of flying today. We plan to just stay one night and head out to Niagra falls on Monday to beat the weather coming in on Tuesday. We will be in Niagra Falls for a few days.