This video is of the next day departing from Redding around noon. It was a 3.3hrs flight with all the deviations. We final got to tell the kids where we actually were when we landed.
Flew home from Vegas Wednesday. We left around 10:30 Calgary time and cleared customs at 19:00. It was windy again in Vegas. Kids kept loosing their hats so we had to keep a hold of everything while loading the plane. The wind was out of the north so we settled in or a long light to Idaho Falls. With all the wind came all the bumps. It was a fun ride. Snow showers in Salt Lake through to Idaho falls. Approach warned us about moderate turbulently below 10k. We had been in it the whole flight, no different in Salt Lake. The plan was lunch in Idaho falls, found out the restaurant was closed so we settles for beaf jerky and muffins from the terminal store. Next stop was Cut Bank for the last cheaper fuel. Had to drop to 6500 to get out of the mountains around Helena. Bumps and headwind persisted until on final into High River.
It was a great trip with over 2500 nm flown. We seen way more scenery than anyone sitting in a tube at 40 thousand ft and had lots of fun doing it. Kids are great flyers, the bumps do not bother them and never once asked how much farther on a 3.5 hr flight. Well maybe once;-
Leaving the sandy beaches of San Diego today. We are heading for Las Vegas. There is a cold front coming through producing strong winds. Plans are to get on the ground before it gets to bad. Weather is suppose to go VFR by noon here. We plan to be ready to go by then.
Runways are all north south, north of Las Vegas so an emergency pee stop will not be an option. Good reason to tour Vegas again. Winds are forecasted to be strong again tomorrow but at least we will be flying out of it. They will be out of the north, it will be a slow bumpy ride tomorrow.
We flew out of Fullerton today around noon. We had to make a left turn to 120 on departure and then get in touch with SoCal approach. It wasn’t long they had us resume our own navigation and we went direct to Dana Point, which they were aware of. They approved our cruising altitude of 3500 ft. After Dana Point we turned down the coast. We stayed out over the ocean to be clear of the restricted. It was topped at 2000ft but it felt better staying clear. We switch to many different frequencies for the short 30 min flight. This part of the country has very busy airspace. I have to silence the kids most of the time as it is very important not to miss an instruction.
Once over Carlsbad we got cleared through the Bravo airspace. We made a slight deviation over Carlsbad so my wife could pictures of the flower fields. Approach allowed us to do so. We were soon on an unrestricted descend to a cross on a mountain before inbound to Montgomery . Unfortunately all the looking for the cross had me miss looking at Torrey Pines soaring site. We flew right over it. Some time there is just no time for site seeing.
We landed at Montgomery Field, the service was great. They were beside us before we even got the plane shut down and the rental car was a minute later.
We are here for a few days on the beach before heading north some time mid next week. So far the trip could not be better.
Landed at Fullerton today. We left Redding direct to the Golden Gate Bridge. Once past the bridge we got approval for a climb. Shortly after we were told to stop the climb and turn to 240. We headed out to sea. He soon turned us south bound. A minute later we had to turn to 270. That was basically a 180. There was a heavy with flap problems and basically wanted everyone out of the way. I finally got going south and back over land. The ride got rather bumpy until we got back over the valley. We got really beat up passing the last pass before the LA basin. We stayed clear of the Bravo and worked are way through with SoCal approach. Wow is LA ever big. I was glad to land, as it was a long flight with several high work load portions. I think we were airborne for about 3.5 hrs. I have to check. 3 days here then off to San diego.